Friday, August 17, 2012

"Let's shut down the streets!" - 8/17 (10:36am)

You can't really give the Real World Portland cast points for originality the last couple days, but they have at least gone to a wider array of the exact same type of places.  As I "predicted" in this blog on Wednesday morning, the cast did arrive at BridePort Brew Pub on the "BrewCycle" as scheduled Wednesday night.  They were also spotted at Caps and Corks, a fairly new spot on NW 17th and Lovejoy.  Rumor has it that the "BrewCycle" had to swerve often to avoid the constant stream of white girls walking impossibly small dogs.

One of the most exciting nuggets from Wednesday night is that Real World PDX went to the Crown Room again.  I'm sure they could not contain their excitement when they found out it was "dubstep night," but who can say?  Maybe the fact that is was dubstep night is what drew them to this fine establishment in the first place.

The excitement continued in full force last night as filming literally shut down the streets in the Pearl.  My guess is they were trying to take a bunch of pictures of the house from different angles to use as establishing shots when they plan to show footage of what is going on in the house.  So after a busy day of the cast members "bro-ing" it up, the viewer can get a bunch of up-tempo jump cuts of the fabulous abode.  Here is some video we can break down:


These guys can literally make or break the show.  For once, I'm actually not being sarcastic.  The shots they are getting (once they are cut and edited) will create the feeling that you are watching something more interesting than you really are.  Reality television is really good at this.  MTV and various directors have been doing this for years with videos.  (Remember when MTV showed videos?!?) Lots of shiny things, lots of jump cuts, and the latest Miley Cyrus jam can really turn something monotonous into something "amazing."  Add in the people who go through the thousands of hours of video taken and turn a bunch of sitting around into something dramatic, and baby, you got a show! Paging Carl Weathers:




Here is another video of the camera crew at work:


Anyone who has walked by the Real World house knows it is not particularly glamorous.  I'm sure it is nice on the inside, and they have added a few cool features, but it is nothing too special.  I don't know if the jump cuts and reaction shots will be enough to make everything look great for the show.  That being said, the fact that the show is still on is a testament to their ability to after all of these years still be good at pretending that something noteworthy is happening in a house that is now peopled exclusively by the same types of 20-24 year-olds.  Play some audio and show some pictures of someone reacting to God knows what and you've built some phony drama.


The breaking news for today though is that last night, Real World Portland miraculously discovered that when you cross the bridges in Portland, there is actually a whole other side of the city.  They went to Rontoms, which barely counts as the East Side, but maybe this is the start of something.  Who knows, they may even make it as far as Chopsticks by the time they are done filming in October.

I've discovered there is one thing that Real World PDX is really good at: leaving an unholy mess behind.  Not that different than most of us in college, but here is a look:


In this next shot, we can clearly see a Pizza Schmizza box.  I guess this is their version of getting "high" on their own supply:


As for this next photo, I'll let you all be the judge:


Tonight is Friday so I'm sure Real World Portland will be around.  Continue to follow my Twitter account (@RealWorldPDXspy) for updates throughout the weekend.




2 comments:

  1. I'm loving this blog; don't stop :) I check it every few days to hear your "behind the curtains" updates. I might actually watch the show when it airs, hehe. Is it possible for you to make your videos iPad compatible? I can see the YouTube embeds you do, but nothing appears for your personal videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll have to take a look at that. I have an iPad so I should be able to tell if it worked. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete